Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Project Update #1

Reflection- So far I have met with my mentor on four different occasions for a total of five hours. I have observed how he works with patients, and how an appointment with a physical therapist occurs.  On my first visit, it was during football season and I just met my doctor for the first time and we talked about the future of the project. The second visit was about a woman treating dizziness. The third visit was about a man recovering from a stroke. Finally my fourth visit was for two patients, and I observed another woman suffering from dizziness, and a man suffering form back muscle spasms and cramps. As I mentioned in my first blog post, the biggest hassle was playing football, and never having time to meet up until just recently. Another large hassle is that physical therapists do not work on weekends, and the only time I can come in is after school, or as I am planning on doing, coming in during a break. Some successes I have had so far are being able to meet up with my mentor after school very well since football finished, and actually getting the hang of what physical therapy actually consists of, which was one of my largest goals to begin the project. So far I have learned many things. About the path to becoming a physical therapist (college, high school classes etc.). The main format of an appointment. Some simple treatments, at least to the clients I have observed be treated. What being a physical therapist entails. Some traits that a physical therapist should have. And if this is actually something I should consider doing in life.



Some pictures of the inside of the establishment
Plan- During winter break I plan to get at least two hours each week, and continue to search for a patient that comes in every week to begin my recuperation plan project. I should be close to 3/4 of my hours by January. Once we do find a patient that I can continue to observe their appointments weekly, I will compose the recuperation plan with my doctor.



Here's me just hanging out. We are required to dress professionally.

Here are my hours so far:

No comments:

Post a Comment