Thursday, March 17, 2016

Final Hours and Progress Update

As of right now I have about 13 hours spent doing work with and without my mentor signed off. I plan to do the rest of my hours by the rest of spring break fairly easily because of the surplus of free time I will have. So far what I have done with my mentor, is gotten a good understanding of physical therapy. I have sat in on about 8 appointments with real patients and real confidential situations, and observed and noted how a patient is led on their path to recovery. This includes having evaluation appointments to figure out what is wrong, and rehabilitation appointments to check in, and to demonstrate exercises that can better help rehabilitation. Outside of being with my mentor I have been provided with small assignments to do after school or on weekends. One example of this is that I had to watch a video of surgery for a total knee replacement, and also take notes on how a physical therapist would treat this patient, and how often these cases and others come up. My axis STEM product is going to be a rehabilitation plan for a total knee replacement, that me and my mentor composed together. So far the progress is going well and it is almost finished. The product connects with the project because it directly relates to what physical therapists do daily, developing plans and noting on their patients. I hope to have it all done by the end of spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment